[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 15:36:08 UTC 2014

Am 14.10.2014 15:18, schrieb Richard Welty:> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014
13:32:44 -0400, Aaron Lidman <aaronlidman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The software is not "being misused to insert errors into the OSM
>> database", it was a mistake. Just like Keepright, Osmose, and JOSM,
>> to-fix has false positives. It's unfortunate and we're actively
>> working to reduce them in number but they happen. Looking at the
>> imagery I can see how it might be thought they connect, especially
>> when none of us are using google maps for verification, right?
>>
> in addition to the fact that we do not have permission to use google maps
> in this manner, keep in mind that google maps also contains errors and is
> nowhere near as reliable as a proper ground survey. so there are two
> excellent reasons not to use google maps.

+1

Just, last month I revisited a spot where I had official raster data to
use plus several good to superb aerials and was still not able to judge
the situation.

Importing and armchair mapping might work but you always have to recheck
ground truth.

Especially, QA problems are often not simply fixable without survey and
I often have delete layer=-1 from waterways or noexit=yes which where
added to silence the QA software and now hide the real problems (missing
bridge/tunnel, respective missing connection).

Please, make it mis-understandably clear that if unsure, you should
change anything, and that silencing the QA software like adding layer=-1
to all waterways is vandalism.

Thanks and cheers colliar