[OSM-talk] wiki tag page template: ways vs areas vs relations

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 12:48:25 UTC 2014

> > [...] In other words, for that template's usecase,
> > ways/area/relations are separate sets, despite sharing primitives.
> >
> > Is that everyone else's understanding too ?
>
> Yes, I agree with this. Any changes should also be propagated to the
> Description and KeyDescription templates, which have the same parameters
> as ValueDescription.

I think the icon "relation" is too generic to have any value. I agree that
it makes sense to see multipolygons as subset of areas, but then there is
only one tag that is suitable for generic relations: "type". The other tags
that can make sense on a very specific relation (e.g. turn restriction
related tags) would be better represented with a specific icon / field for
this one specific relation type (e.g. turn restriction, route). There are
few tags that are definitely not suitable for say a site-relation (also due
to the fact that there are lots of different ideas what a site-relation
should achieve).

cheers,
Martin