[OSM-talk] The world’s best addressable map

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Thu Oct 23 09:53:24 UTC 2014

I agree that addresses is a complicated field. There are different
historical systems, there are cities where even many streets are without
names, etc. There is a lot of space for innovation, certainly.

What I meant is that it is not obligatory to map a city or a town
addressable from one end to another, one house after another, or wait
until a municipal government releases into public domain its database of
addresses (which may be not without errors or omissions too).

If there are, say, 10% of buildings where 90% of the population lives,
studies and works, it makes sense to map them addressable first. Often
these are large modern buildings with clear addresses.

And it is much easier to return into the same area for the second time,
when there are already at least some large buildings with numbers, much
easier to orientate oneself.

I see from your example that in the city of Reykjavik almost every
building has a number, so you have a more advanced set of priorities.

Best regards,
Oleksiy