[OSM-talk] The world’s best addressable map

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Thu Oct 23 08:39:19 UTC 2014

I like addresses but they don't behave like you would think. For example
we have a part of a street that has each individual flat as its own
address number. We first used the number;number;number; approach but I'm
now in favor of naming the house what it says on the front (the range
37-51) and then put address nodes on the building so it appears in
search, with roughly the position accounting for where in the house the
apartment is. In this case the numbers closest to the street are at the
bottom floor (the stadium approach I favor). I'm in favor of moving this
same method over to the other houses.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/64.13635/-21.79883

As for being able to search within a specific town or area then I think
we should look again at relations and super-relations. You could group
streets relations into a neighborhood relation and then into a town or
municipality relation etc. This of course works very differently based
on country but for Iceland I can't see us hitting any limits.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Super-Relation

Regards on behalf of the Icelandic Local Chapter applicant,
Jói

Þann 22.10.2014 18:28, skrifaði Clifford Snow: