[OSM-talk] GoPro video traces?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 23 13:00:49 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-23 11:20, David Cuenca wrote:
> There are many people who record both a gps trace and a video of their
> itinerary.
> Do you think it would be viable to use these videos as a sort of street
> view by associating the frames to a location? When there is no gps
> trace, it could be done by interpolation, defining synchronization
> points between map and video.
>
> It is not 360°, but at least there would be some images of remote areas.

For the GoPro, I find its usually more useful in timelapse model.
ie taking a photo every second, or maybe every 5 or 10 seconds, depends
on what you are surveying and how fast you are moving.

The still photos are usually much better quality and higher resolution
than frames from the video. So more useful for reading housenames etc.
Plus its easy to geotag all of the photos (I use GeoSetter), then load
them into JOSM.