[OSM-talk] GoPro video traces?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:58:04 UTC 2014

> And now with 360° HD cameras getting cheaper, maybe it would be possible
> to use them for locating street numbers.

>From my findings the time you are saving by recording everything instead of
selecting at surveytime what you want to map by taking a focused photo or
note, will be spent twice and more when looking for useful pictures in the
video later (and you'll risk to miss a lot of important stuff, but you will
be able to map a lot of detail, re-using the same footage over and over
again and still will find unmapped stuff). It depends on what you map which
method is most useful, e.g. for speed limits or lanes count, automatic
video recording is probably perfect, for housenumbers you'd need a setup
similar to Google's in order to get sufficient detail (and still you can
see in streetview that sometimes the feature you are interested in is
covered by something else or that the light conditions do not allow to
discern what you are after). This might have gotten better with higher
resolution cameras now. For the purpose of mapping my guess is that rather
than 120fps at fullHD you should set the cam to 30fps at 4K.

cheers,
Martin