[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] A Better Map

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Thu Oct 23 14:40:45 UTC 2014

Hi Sarah,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 12:24:10PM -0700, Kate Chapman wrote:
> > I'd say the size of the board to me is not necessarily the issue. I do
> > think however having a board elected completely just from the OSMF
> > membership isn't the best approach. Those elected from OSM contributors
> (I
> > frequently have seen in the past people post people's OSM edits for board
> > elections) are not necessarily the best to be on a board.
>
> This statement seems at odds with your complaint that members are not
> enough involved. The board elections are at the moment pretty much the
> only means for the OSMF members to voice their opinion, precisely by
> electing those candidates who are most likely to steer the OSMF in the
> direction the membership wants. I dare say that previous elections have
> shown a very clear trend towards electing people that are firmly routed
> in the community.

I did not complain that members are not enough involved. I said we don't
know what they want. I do not think there are enough members, but I'm not
sure we need specifically members to be involved.

> > It does not allow
> > the flexibility to seek out board members with specialized skills. For
> > example most of the board would not claim to be experts in finance, or
> > legal matters. I certainly think election from part of the community is
> not
> > a bad thing, but perhaps it isn't the only way.
>
> Among all the problems I perceive with the board, lack of skills is very,
> very low on the list. What the board needs are foremost people
> that are able to work with others, that can listen and compromise.
> We need people who are really interested in bringing OSM forward
> instead of just following their own agenda.

I have previously said that we need people to run who can work with others.
I do also think having flexibility for different skills would be useful.
There seems to be a lack of people that can "work with others" that do run
for the board. Look at how often people end up resigning.

-Kate