[OSM-talk] Fwd: Addresses are a tiny fraction of what we do (was: The world’s best addressable map)

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:31:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Paweł Marynowski <yarl at openstreetmap.pl> wrote:

> Don't you think that more data = more people eager to add notes about what's
> missing? Eg. nearly noone wants to add bunch of notes about missing
> addresses. When you make import, people are starting make notes about
> imprecise data. At least that's my observation regarding data in Poland.

Exactly. Now it'd be great if we at least had some means to reply back
to anonymous users who add notes.
GitHub issue: https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/776
My observation is that GitHub issues with its accept/reject/leave
forever conclusion to every discussion are not exactly a best place
for a coordinated development. Also, users want to have everything,
developers want to write as little code as needed (because they are
volunteers not paid by OSMF) and the OSM as a system stays in a
hiatus.
Software (both the editor and consumer side) is as important as data
and community. On that topic, I was going to write a rant about how
bad apps that use OSM data are (OsmAnd, MapFactor, be-on-road and many
others). Assuming that our map data are the best in many places, these
apps would be so popular. They aren't, because they either are awkward
to use, or try to do everything while not doing any single thing well.
Good software -> more users who either edit or report errors -> better
community. That is my opinion.

Michał