[OSM-talk] Skybox release aerial imagery

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon Oct 27 22:37:54 UTC 2014

Yes, let's the LWG answer about the license.
Let me say that this is great what we have accomplished as an OpenStreetMap community with this Ebola outbreak.
Andrew Buck and myself, and HOT as the umbrella organization are there to make the bridge between this community and the humanitarian organizations, to strenghten the relations with the humanitarian organizations. This is one mission among others in OSM and we simply cannot do such job without the OSMcommunity. The response we have received for both the Haiyan typhoon in november 2013 and for this Ebola outbreak is simply fantastic.

There is a lot of media and academic attention about the progression of OpenStreetMap. Since the Haiti Earthquake in january 2010, there humanitarian organizations and UN agencies are also follwing closely the OSM community. With this unprecented response over the last 7 months with this Ebola outbreak, OSM is under the spots. The West Africa Ebola Response wiki page reports this media coverage.

For this Ebola outbreak, HOT coordinates with MSF, Red Cross, UN-WHO, UN-OCHA and the Digital Humanitarian Network. To date, almost 2,000 OSM contributors from 100 countries and more then 10 millions objects edited.

More then these statistics, this is the professionalism of the OSM organization, the capacity to provide a reliable environment and tools, assure connectivity with GIS softwares,  propose various free Mapping services, including for small devices, and adapt quickly to the needs of the humanitarian organizations that is recognized.

This professionalism of the OSM community among the various volunteer communities is the main message.  Let's hope that we can keep the spirit of this community and move forward as an organization with respectful and constructive discussions.
 Pierre