[OSM-talk] Fwd: [Osmf-talk] A Better Map

cesare gerbino cesaregerbino at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:53:07 UTC 2014

Hi all!

First of all, sorry for my mistakes, my English nit's not so good

I've read all the long thread and now I try to give my suggestions

1) I always I have always advocated the the georereferenced addresses were
fundamental for OSM so now I agree with Steve thoughts

2) The "anarchy" inherent and productive in the OSM community ' is a
valuable asset to be safeguarded. "This is true and is the heart of OSM and
must be maintained. At the same time it is clear that when it comes to
"volumes" like the present ones, when use and reuse grows, maybe a few set
of rules and policy / strategy are needed  to increase the quality and
range of use: it is almost a necessary evil. I have heard the indication by
Steve in this sense

3) "We can not tell us a map if we do not have at least the streets and the
addresses"  Addresses are "fundamental" without them OSM will continue  to
be seen as an interesting thing, in some areas with more info than the
commercial counterparts but risks to remain "niche" ... a casual user of
the maps the first thing that try is searching for an address: it he
doesn't found it in OSM bur found it on commercial maps for him that does
not know and probably doesn't want to know, because he isn't interested in
all that is behind OSM, OSM has "lost" .. .

4) If you want to contribute to the masses (in this case, mappers), it is
necessary that they are" motivated , such as the easily of use of the tools
available, otherwise it will simply ignore it. I consider fundamental this,
because to map the addresses on the field is long, not as "funny" and have
the tool that will enable in a  better way could be useful

5) would be important to be able to do more to pressure against the Public
Administrations to release the address data (with cooordinates !!) in open
data with licensees compatible with OMS License and then ecourage GOD and
CONTROLLED massive upload in OSM

6) if want to see the Italian situation about open data addresses , with a
comparison with OMS data (sorry for self-referentiality ...), tale a look
here
http://cesaregerbino.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/numeri-civici-open-data-in-italia-hashtag-indirizzatiitalia-ce-ne-sono-quanti-sono-chi-li-mette-a-disposizione-dove-sono/
(in
italian but the map is quite explanatory ...)

Bye

Cesare Gerbino

http://cesaregerbino.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/cesare.gerbino