[OSM-talk] 112k Wikidata tags to add to OSM

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Sep 5 09:31:29 UTC 2014

Am 05.09.2014 11:06, schrieb Edward Betts:

> I've got some ideas about how to fix some of the mismatches. Many of the
> mismatches are villages represented by both a node and a relation, but the
> relation isn't tagged with place=village, so my code can't tell it represents
> the same thing. Maybe relations that represent villages should be tagged with
> place=village. I'll could modify my code so it rejects nodes inside a way
> or relation with the same name.
>
> Example: Sachsendorf, Germany
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/240130457
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2253462

This is rather off-topic in the sense that it has nearly nothing to do
with wikidata, but in general using place on admin boundaries is
considered bad practice (not the least because the administrative
entities very often do not correspond to just one place or to a
recognizable place at all).

Opinions tend to vary on the best fix, one is to add the place node as
admin_centre to the boundary relation, but that is not undisputed.
Getting back to wikidata, IMHO there should be likely be separate
wikidata entries allowing you to match the admin entity with the admin
entry and the place with the place ...

Simon