[OSM-talk] 112k Wikidata tags to add to OSM

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:53:15 UTC 2014

> > Example: Sachsendorf, Germany
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/240130457
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2253462
> >

> This is rather off-topic in the sense that it has nearly nothing to do
> with wikidata, but in general using place on admin boundaries is
> considered bad practice (not the least because the administrative
> entities very often do not correspond to just one place or to a
> recognizable place at all).

+1, with the exception of very dense areas where the administrative area
and the settlement do indeed coincide.
in this case there is already a place-tag at an area:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/169202820
but there is no name on it, so I am not sure if this hamlet is describing
the same object than the place=village with name Sachsendorf.
It is also not clear to which settlement this area belongs:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/88233220 (well, you could guess from the
administrative relation, but the place tags don't tell it).
(that's why it is generally not a good idea to add place tags to a
residential landuse, because typically there will be other landuse as well
in a settlement).

cheers,
Martin