[OSM-talk] Own wikipage for every single speed limit??

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Fri Sep 5 19:51:40 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-28 04:37, Jochen Topf wrote:
> Redirect pages can have a bad effect, though. Taginfo will show if a wiki page
> exists for a key or tag. Taginfo can't know why there is a redirect. Is this a
> case where the redirect directs from a "typo page" to the "real page" or is
> this a case where, like in the maxspeed case, several pages for totally
> good tags have been rolled into one. So taginfo shows them all the same and
> might lead people into thinking the "typo key" is the real one, if they don't
> click through to the page.
>
> The problem behind this is that there is no way to mark the reason why there is
> a redirect. It could be "old now discontinued name", or "common misspelling",
> or "this page would be basically a copy of this other one, so look there", or
> probably some other reasons. Redirects hide this information, that could be
> written down on the page instead. So I think redirects should be avoided. In
> particular, misspellings would be better handled by having a slightly fuzzy
> search (not sure how good MediaWiki is for that).

At Wikipedia, templates are categorized using a series of templates like
{{R from misspelling}}. You just place them on the line following the
#redirect tag. Could taginfo be made to look for these templates or the
categories they sort into?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:R_from_misspelling

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us