[OSM-talk] "Incorrect speed limit" anonymous notes - who is behind that?

Norbert Wenzel norbert.wenzel.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:17:31 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 05:05 PM, Per Rosengren wrote:
> Like Andreas Vilén suspected, our default position was sometimes used when posting a note. It is users who have not yet gotten a real GPS fix (probably in combination with that they do not understand the reporting functionality). In coming releases of our client we will add a check in the clients that it is not a simulated position but a real GPS fix (we also think of adding the GPS accuracy to the note). To prevent old clients from reporting the default positions we now ignore notes with a position that is near the default position.
>
> In coming client releases we will also check the heading and add that to the notes as well (like Christian Quest suggested, N, NW, etc).

Are you actually routing in your software? So would you be able to say
(or help the user say by suggesting the street names around him)
something like "No turn left into Foo coming from Baz?" by knowing which
street your user currently is on. Since I found mostly the "No turn
possible" messages completely off. To be honest I've not seen a single
message that could be actually resolved (from my desk) since there was
either no crossing or too many of them near the note, so it was simply
impossible to guess what crossing should be fixed.

And, if you know which street your user is on, could you do some more
checks (maybe on your server and not on the users device) when speed
limits are reported for streets with variable speed limits? There may be
a speed limit when the users passes the sign but that limit might change
only minutes later, so these notes are just creating noise at the moment.

Thanks for posting updates here and trying to improve your reporting
feature.

Norbert