[OSM-talk] OSMdata: a Wikidata-like editor for OpenStreetMap

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:12:34 UTC 2014

> But the way I thought it would be used is to add a new item to OSMdata,
> and then link it to OSM with its OSMdata ID, "osmdata=Oxxx". That way the
> link to an object would be stable, so if you convert a node to a way, you
> just copy the osmdata id.

@Janko
I don't understand how this link would be stable. The reason for osm
objects to get new IDs is typically someone splitting the object,
transforming a point into an area or similar. Now how would having links to
another external db help here? As a mapper you would either not care (i.e.
the data will deteriorate like any other data that is not cared for) or
you'd have to go looking in externalDB what the link is about, and whether
you'll keep it on the original node (for instance) or move it over to the
area (for instance), or in the case of a split way, whether you'd want the
link on all pieces or only on some.
External DBs that have to be linked from within osm are not an improvement
at all, rather they'd complicate the life of osm contributors even more
because they'd have to check these links in order to make good edits. If
you want to set up a DB about restaurant reviews, please do this without
the need to link from osm, e.g. with name comparison and spatial proximity,
by looking at the operator, etc.

cheers,
Martin