[OSM-talk] OSMdata: a Wikidata-like editor for OpenStreetMap

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:37:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> Using it to edit OSM data, however, does not sound that intuitively
> appealing when more specialized tools are available. But perhaps you can
> elaborate?

It is worth noting that Wikibase doesn't need to be the edition interface.
You can have it running on the background and use a custom GUI to
display/edit some preset fields which use the entity suggester in whatever
language the user has chosen. Examples:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%8F:WE-Framework

The benefits are that you could use it as an authority control gateway,
structured relations, better interoperability, and reuse of the
tools/development that is being done for wikibase.
I don't know OSM well enough to appraise if these benefits outweigh the
costs, but perhaps it is worth taking a closer look.

Cheers,
Micru