[OSM-talk] Tiles caching issue

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Thu Apr 16 21:09:49 UTC 2015

On 16/04/2015 18:59, Daniel Koć wrote:
> Recently I got tired of a caching problem with rendered tiles, which
> causes freshly changed tiles to dis- and reappear with no particular
> pattern. I wrote about it here:
>
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/955
>
> For me it's very annoying, so I'd like to know if there's a way to fix
> it or make less visible somehow?
>
> As Tom said "the whole system is, in effect, only eventually
> consistent", but I make so many edits, that I need relatively short
> loop to check if I didn't make any stupid drawing/tagging error.

One option might be to have a small local server set up as per
https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/ and applying minutely updates.
Because it's local to you you don't have to worry about caching at all,
and if you want to you can try "bleeding edge" versions of OSM-carto (or
another map style of your choice) too. With a bit of browser
jiggerypokery you can make your tiles appear instead of one of the
layers on osm.org if you want.

If you're only rendering a small area this won't work if you regularly
map on multiple continents, obviously, and an up to date server needs to
be downloading and updating itself enough of the time to have an up to
date database, so it's not a solution for everyone, but it might work
for you.

Cheers,

Andy