[OSM-talk] Wiki project: Article about the standard layer, with key

Wuzzy wuzzy2 at mail.ru
Mon Apr 20 12:27:05 UTC 2015

I have created a wiki page about the Standard layer found on
www.openstreetmap.org

Here it is:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Standard_tile_layer

This wiki page is still a big work in progress.

Here are two goals of this wiki page:
1) Concentrate on user's view, not mapper's view
2) Give a brief description of the Standard layer and other information
of intererest.
3) Document all the map colors, symbols and lines. Also known as “key”.

I know that the homepage has already a key, but it is very incomplete
and outdated, most symbols (“points of interest”) are not explained at
all.

Does anyone want to help with this effort?

There are the following challenges:
- I want to have the pure, unaltered icons in their original size. Many
  icons I found in the wiki are pretty outdated.
- If possible, the icons should be stored as uniform as possible in the
  wiki. It looks ugly if all the icons are displayed in different sizes
- Documenting all the non-obvious stuff about the layer, such as that
  private access things are drawn semi-transparent, etc.
- Keeping this whole thing up to date

You can help by:
- Extending the key
- Give advice if you know more about the inner workings of the Standard
  layer
- Uploading missing icons into the wiki
- Updating outdated icons in the wiki
- Adding more general information about this layer

--
Wuzzy
XMPP: Wuzzy2 at jabber.ccc.de
E-Mail: wuzzy2 at mail.ru