[OSM-talk] Wiki project: Article about the standard layer, with key

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon Apr 20 12:56:36 UTC 2015

W dniu 20.04.2015 14:27, Wuzzy napisał(a):

> There are the following challenges:
> - I want to have the pure, unaltered icons in their original size. Many
>   icons I found in the wiki are pretty outdated.
> - If possible, the icons should be stored as uniform as possible in the
>   wiki. It looks ugly if all the icons are displayed in different sizes

All the source files for icons on the standard layer (and other visual
patterns) can be found here:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/tree/master/symbols

(shields for the different kinds of roads are inside the subfolder
"shields").

The easiest thing to view them locally would be to install Git and clone
this repository. However notice, that we're in a process of transition
from PNG icons to pixel-aligned SVG icons. While the PNGs are exactly
what you see on the map, the SVGs are the source for transforming them
into real raster files (PNG probably), but I don't know how to do this
manually or where to find them in a transformed version.

The man behind PNG->SVG transition is nebulon42 (
https://github.com/nebulon42 ), so you can contact him and ask about
details.

As far as I know there's no documentation for what gets displayed and
you have to look mainly at the MSS files to find out.

Hope that helps.

--
Piaseczno Miasto Wąskotorowe