[OSM-talk] Tagging POI's - Nodes vs. areas

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Tue Apr 21 14:20:19 UTC 2015

`amenity=hospital` is what makes it a proper hospital.  You can create a node where the hospital is, or an area around the property of the hospital.  Drawing either a node or an area is ok, but drawing areas is preferred if you have time for it.

If the hospital is just one building, you can add `building=yes` or `building=hospital` to the amenity.   If the hospital is a campus of several buildings, you can draw each building as well.  `building=*` (anything) should make it render like a building/structure.   The actual value of the building tag is not really used often (it’s considered a description of what the building looks like, not what it is), so most buildings are just tagged as `building=yes` unless they are really special somehow.

Thanks, Bryan