[OSM-talk] Tagging POI's - Nodes vs. areas

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:16:37 UTC 2015

> Am 21.04.2015 um 17:31 schrieb pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com>:
>
> No area should be plotted as a point. That's just one of OSM's nightmarish disasters.

+1, basically you would tag buildings with the building tag, and either the building type or yes as value, while functions are tagged with different tags.

building=hospital doesn't say there is an active hospital, it only states there is a hospital building.

On the other hand, functions like schools or hospitals typically extend beyond a single building (eg there might be a yard, a garden/lawn, a parking etc), so the "normal" situation would be to map an area for this function and within the buildings with their building types (or yes).

If you encounter a building that is (entirely or at least for one entire floor) occupied by something that doesn't extend beyond the building area it might still be better not to mix these 2 entities on the same object (but I admit it is frequently done). If you want to distinguish between these two you can for example map the building as area and create a multipolygon relation with just one outer member (the building) for the function. Alternatively you would have to create an overlapping way which is less elegant and harder to edit, or you just use a node inside, what will loose information (about the extent).

Cheers
Martin