[OSM-talk] how do i get a mapper to engage with the community over mass imports?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Apr 24 05:37:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Robin Paulson <robin at bumblepuppy.org>
wrote:

> i live in auckland, nz. a mapper [1] here is currently importing a giant
> data set of building outlines for auckland, by my estimate 300,000+ ways.
> until yesterday, on my insistence, he'd made no mention of this on any of
> the relevant discussion lists (local nz chapter, osm imports list) and as
> of one hour ago [2] was uploading more data.
>
> from what i can see (although i may be wrong, please point out any errors
> if so), there's no engagement with the community, local or otherwise, and
> apparent disregard for established processes around importing as set out on
> the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import
>
> it bothers me more that he's an openly acknowledged employee of a local
> company, koordinates, who engage him amongst other things to add data to
> osm - it looks like more than just a single bull-headed individualistic
> person, but an active policy of the company.
>
> what to do?

Is this work part of what is described on the wiki [1] for importing Linz
data? Have you discussed this on the New Zealand mailing list? Have you
attempted to contact him. If he doesn't respond then I would contact the
DWG for assistance.

Clifford

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Zealand_data_import_projects

--