[OSM-talk] Best way to find nodes within given way outlines?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Apr 24 22:57:50 UTC 2015

I've asked around several times, but never found an answer.

What's the best way to do intersection queries on OSM data.?

For example: find all amenity=fuel inside of an airport polygon.

This works barely:
1) Load possible target nodes & ways into JOSM
2) Search "type:way"
3) Use utilspling2 "all inside" to select nodes inside ways
4) Search for "amenity=fuel" in "selected".

But perhaps there is something more direct that scales better?
I'll post any good answer to help.openstreetmap.org