[OSM-talk] Removing redundant routing instructions

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 08:48:55 UTC 2015

On 27/04/15 09:06, Steve Doerr wrote:
>> In the UK (particularly in rural areas) it is common to find a road
>> that turns 90 degrees to the left or right without a junction (that is
>> the road just continues and white lines mark it as such). Meanwhile
>> another road may come in from the other side with a 'give way' style
>> junction.
>
> One simple way of representing this situation is to place give_way nodes
> on the subsidiary roads. Whether any routers or renderers make use of
> these to deduce that a particular route through the junction is the
> 'through route', I don't know.

It does irritate me that OSMAND announces 'turn right onto A46' when I'm
currently driving down the A46, and 'turn slightly left onto M5' when
approaching a slip road to 'turn right onto A46'. There is NOTHING wrong
with the tagging in OSM, it is purely how OSMAND handles each case which
needs further work. Other satnav's do the same sort of thing in
different areas, and around here many roads don't have road numbers, so
when moving between sections of what is essentially the same road one
gets directions about the junction. All that was missing from the
tagging was an indication that it is the same road, so yes signs on the
side junctions might help but it's up to the third party software to
interpret that. The opposite side of the coin is when 'tomtom' tells me
it's 50 miles to the next junction and I know I've got two or three
major interchanges where I need to merge with other traffic. It just
depends what one considers to be redundant. The example given says 'the
white lines mark it as such', but if those white lines are warn or
obscured by mud? The extra direction can ACTUALLY be helpful if it's a
route one has not been before. It only becomes irritating when one is
hearing it for the n'th time ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL