[OSM-talk] Next: Relation name (WAS: Removing redundant routing instructions)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 28 12:15:51 UTC 2015

It's about that which cannot be inferred from the geometry and the
current tagging. The road name and number come under "current tagging",
but sometimes they are not enough to know how to describe the next
instruction(s) to the user. We are in the business of dictating the
exact text that a navigator should speak, but we need to provide the
basic information on which these decisions can be made. The ambiguity of
a T-junction where the side-road has the same name and ref as one of the
"straight through" legs is evident.

Direction of travel is a good point - the "through route" may not be
symmetrical.

//colin

[2] https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction
[3] https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail