[OSM-talk] Next: Relation name (WAS: Removing redundant routing instructions)

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:09:36 UTC 2015

On 28 April 2015 at 13:15, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>  It's about that which cannot be inferred from the geometry and the
> current tagging. The road name and number come under "current tagging", but
> sometimes they are not enough to know how to describe the next
> instruction(s) to the user. We are in the business of dictating the exact
> text that a navigator should speak, but we need to provide the basic
> information on which these decisions can be made. The ambiguity of a
> T-junction where the side-road has the same name and ref as one of the
> "straight through" legs is evident.
>
> Direction of travel is a good point - the "through route" may not be
> symmetrical.
>
> //colin

Are we then back down to the simple issue of failing to tag the arm(s) with
the 'give way' markings ?

   - We're not tagging them in all necessary cases (where the 'side road'
   is in line with one arm of the main road)
   - Routers are ignoring the tags.

 Is this the solution rather than creating a new solution ?