[OSM-talk] Different HOT Domains without redirect...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 19:10:43 UTC 2015

On 28/04/15 19:14, Andreas Goss wrote:
> So you think it's okay that http://www.hot.openstreetmap.org/ or
> http://www.wiki.openstreetmap.org/ are just dead links?
>
> I mean I never done it myself, but isn't it like just 1-3 short lines in
> the .htaccess file?
>
> And how many used xxx.opesntreetmap.org pages do we actually have? blog,
> forum and help are the only ones I can think of

www. is just a legacy from times gone by. It is not 'essential', and as
long as the primary domain routes properly that is all that matters.
ADDING www. back in is what is wrong if anything. sub-domains such as
wiki. help. forum. blog. hot. do not need or want www. in front of them.

This is a little bit of a 'personal choice' and my reference is
http://webfaq.co.uk/prefix.htm but there is nothing in the W3
documentation that requires using www. and even the sub-domain argument
depends on how things are served up. If everything is on the one IP
address one only needs the primary domain, and sub domains can be
folders on that, but where several sub-sites on different severs are
involved keeping a unique sub-domain as the first entry is just
convenient. Having to dig to find what is after a www. is pointless.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL