[OSM-talk] Continent Oceania or Australia

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Wed Apr 29 12:13:24 UTC 2015

I was doing an overpass query for place=continent and noticed that we do
not have Oceania but Australia with this note:

"Note that Oceania, which is a more common designation in some
countries, is actually based on a different continental classification
system to the one OSM uses. So please translate Australia as Australia,
not as Oceania"

However looking at what is within is_in:continent="Australia" then I
only get regions and cities and no countries. is_in:continent="Oceania"
gives me the normal countries we think of as Oceania (including
Australia the country).

Thus it seems place=continent;name="Australia" is now outdated and not
used. According to usage it seems clear that we are now using the
regular Oceania classification.

I propose we change this to reflect to current usage.

--Jóhannes / Stalfur