[OSM-talk] New MapRoulette challenge - fix railway crossings

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 21:11:42 UTC 2015

> Hi all,
>
> Partly inspired by Google making noise about saving lives by warning
> people about crossings (see for example
>
> http://www.transportation.gov/fastlane/fra-google-team-to-incorporate-rail-data-in-maps
> )
> I decided to take that same railroad crossings data from the Federal
> Railway Administration, massage it a bit and turn it into a
> MapRoulette challenge!

Last time I looked at Google Maps, it didn't know about the train in my
area, and even showed some streets as continuous where in fact they were
blocked by the railroad (fence, no level crossing). Now it seems to have
the train but it's missing half the stations and there are still no
pedestrian crossings marked. I guess that's progress?

Yet another case of superior service from OpenStreetMap :)

--
Nicolás