[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Andrew Wiseman awiseman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 06:37:20 UTC 2015

Hi Russ,

I would suggest you contact who is saying that or deleting it (if you can see who that is,) and talk to them, nicely, about your concerns. I bet it's just that people probably aren't familiar with the concept of abandoned railroads as a tag. If they don't see a railroad track where there's a railroad tag, they probably just delete it, thinking that's what you do. The unused: tag (or whatever you use) is not super well known, in my opinion.

From reading your message I am guessing you are quite familiar with railroads, but most people aren't. I've had a similar problem where people delete new buildings that are still empty lots on Bing. Not vandalism, just a
lack of understanding.

Andrew

Sent from my iTelegraph