[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 06:59:27 UTC 2015

On 11/08/2015 4:37 PM, Andrew Wiseman wrote:
> Hi Russ,
>
> I would suggest you contact who is saying that or deleting it (if you can see who that is,) and talk to them, nicely, about your concerns. I bet it's just that people probably aren't familiar with the concept of abandoned railroads as a tag. If they don't see a railroad track where there's a railroad tag, they probably just delete it, thinking that's what you do. The unused: tag (or whatever you use) is not super well known, in my opinion.

Appears to be a continuing problem.

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/33455/what-happened-to-the-abandoned-railroads

In part it may arise from the OSM mantra 'tag what is on the ground'.
If the abandoned railway is now a 'rail trail' then it should be tagged as a path/track, as that is what is on the ground.

the tag is http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dabandoned
and says "A tag to map former railways, where the rails have been removed but the route is still visible in some way.

If the rails are still in place userailway <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway>=disused
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Ddisused>  instead."

That does lack any link to rail trial tagging... in fact OSM looks to lack any guide on 'rail trails'.