[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Aug 11 10:15:49 UTC 2015

Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> writes:

> No, surely not, if there are actual rails on the ground then I'd say
> they should be mapped. An abandoned railway line having some rails in
> some places is not, however, sufficient reason to map the whole
> abandoned railway line even where tracks are removed.

An abandoned line with some rails is almost certainly a topographical
feature, called "old railway grade" in the USGS topo maps.   I can see
your point where the only trace is lot shapes.  But I see a lot of
things where there is clearly a cut/fill topography and the railbed
itself is a feature on the ground.

Deleting something with a comment by someone who has actually been there
and looked is one thing.   I think Russ is objecting to remote
deletionists who aren't actually observing if there is a ground feature,
in a particular case when  Russ  knows full well there IS a ground
feature.