[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:27:59 UTC 2015

> An abandoned line with some rails is almost certainly a topographical
> feature, called "old railway grade" in the USGS topo maps.   I can see
> your point where the only trace is lot shapes.

+1, and even by the wiki these would not (if at all) mapped as
railway=abandoned but as dismantled or sth like that (and this tag is maybe
not to be used because dismantled (absent) features should not be mapped).

>   But I see a lot of
> things where there is clearly a cut/fill topography and the railbed
> itself is a feature on the ground.

+1, looking only for tracks is too few. When the railbed is there it could
be mapped with a railway tag IMHO.

cheers,
Martin