[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Aug 14 03:39:55 UTC 2015

Serge Wroclawski writes:
 > That is, if I'm on the ground and there's a building, how do I know it's a
 > razed railway?

Tracks buried in the asphalt are usually a good indication. You don't
need to get out your tape measure to see if the cracks are 4' 8.5" apart.
I don't have any pictures of the building, but it's in the description.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/russnelson/286222501/in/album-72157603830566601/

Don't believe me? Here's the rails on the other side of the building:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/russnelson/286222504/in/album-72157603830566601/

If that's not enough, the presence of buildings with loading doors are
boxcar height and spacing ought to suggest that a railroad went past.

Or how about a spur track? Had to connect to something, right?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/russnelson/2154335831/in/album-72157603830566601/

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog