[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 06:08:43 UTC 2015

On 15/08/2015 3:46 PM, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Mateusz Konieczny writes:
>   > In another case where railway tracks that were removed, embankment
>   > demolished and somebody build there houses. In that case railway
>   > track should not be mapped in OSM because this feature is gone.
>
> Railway=dismantled. Doesn't get rendered except where it should be,
> on openrailwaymap.org.
>
> Why is this so hard? I'm not asking you to do it. I'm asking you to
> stop preventing me from doing it.
>
> I'm not trying to make extra work for anybody.
>
> I'm asking you to find a different way to make the map better than by
> deleting things, valid things, real things, that other people entered.

Russ ...
if the railway has been removed ...
and another use has taken over totally and nothing remains (so no real
things remain)...
  do you still want railway=disused to remain?

Personally when some feature has been replaced with another feature...
such that nothing remains of the original .. I'd be inclined to delete.