[OSM-talk] Best base to build on ...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Aug 15 21:09:35 UTC 2015

On 15/08/15 20:57, Paul Norman wrote:
>> The obvious question is that given tilemill is not longer being
>> maintained, what are the preferred alternatives?
> Kosmtik is the preferred alternative to Tilemill, but both of these are
> style design programs, not programs for serving tiles to others. I have
> no doubt that you could proxy them via a caching proxy, but this is a
> horrible idea.

I have something building tiles how *I* want them to look via tilemill
but having spent a couple of hours on kosmtik I can't even get it to
install.

> Use any one of the standard tile rendering servers like renderd+mod_tile
> or tirex+mod_tile. If you don't need update support (which you don't if
> you were considering Tilemill) then mapproxy, tilestash, tilecache, and
> non-OSM specific options are available.

Getting something actually working with my working tilemill style is
something else I've been wasting time on :(

The simple answer seems to be that there is no standard when it comes to
mapping applications and everybody creates their own personal special
such as kosmtik rather than working with established standards :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL