[OSM-talk] Best base to build on ...

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Aug 15 19:57:56 UTC 2015

On 8/15/2015 8:14 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> Not getting much help on the GB list so I thought I'd widen the
> question. A couple of years back I had my own server setup working with
> a base of OSRM and routing covering the UK. While the map server is
> still working, routing has packed up and some of the alternate base maps
> are no longer accessible.

> The obvious question is that given tilemill is not longer being
> maintained, what are the preferred alternatives?
Kosmtik is the preferred alternative to Tilemill, but both of these are
style design programs, not programs for serving tiles to others. I have
no doubt that you could proxy them via a caching proxy, but this is a
horrible idea.

Use any one of the standard tile rendering servers like renderd+mod_tile
or tirex+mod_tile. If you don't need update support (which you don't if
you were considering Tilemill) then mapproxy, tilestash, tilecache, and
non-OSM specific options are available.