[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 00:13:33 UTC 2015

On 17/08/2015 11:13 PM, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2015-08-17 13:37, Warin wrote:
>
>> On 17/08/2015 4:28 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
>>>
>>>  Will the free-tagging laissez-faire camp win, or will the
>>> curated/managed tagging camp win?
>>>
>> I'm in the 'systematised free tagging' camp .. I want a structure
>> that has a simple good logical basis for the tags. But allows added
>> tags .. hopefully following the structure present.
>> At present there is no structure/philosophy that can be followed.
>>
> How do you see this structure/philosophy taking shape? Where will it
> come from? I don't think there is consensus that such things are
> actually worth working on.

I'll give an example of the present.

  shop=bicycle has a number of sub tags ... these are usefull ... but
have NO application to other shop= tags!

It would be better to structure this for all shops .. and possibly other
things too!!! This would lead to a consistent scheme that would aid
learning and implementation ...

I have a thread on the tagging group about shop sub tags .. one
suggestion has been to us the same sub tags as the vending machine ... so

shop=grocer

vending=bread

vending=sweats

etc... This is still very much in the discussion/thinking stage.Another
suggestion is to use the new sub tag 'sells' ...

SO .. I hope over time OSM will recognise that an overall structure is
of benefit to all. The structure itself ... that will take yet more time.

>> How will this tug-of-war be organised? Will the forces at work cause
>> OSM to tend to converge towards "quality" or self-destruction? After
>> all, OSM says its product is the data, not a mapnik representation.
>> The raster tiles may look OK, but the underlying data may tell a
>> story of mapnik and OSS-carto having to work very hard to mask bad
>> data quality.
>> The quality of the data is not your/my issue .. it is the structure
>> of the tags.
>>
> ...which IMHO is part of the bigger picture of data quality. Quality
> is not the same as perfection. It is about agreeing things, complying
> with what has been agreed, the ability to measure the compliance
> objectively and feedback to help improve the compliance.

ISO 9000 is a standard for quality .. it means if you produce something
.. you will continue to produce that something consistently .. rubbish
or not.

'Agreed'? Buy whom? OSM can have new tags introduced by anyone. The
reality of this is that tags that get used frequently by a number of
mappers get 'recognised'.

Tags that get 'approved' by the tagging group get the status=approved
thing, those rejected get the status=rejected .. but even the rejected
tags get used, some even advocate their use.
One can take the attitude that at least these tags have been review by
some, compared to tags that are simply added by one person without review.

Compliance .. with what? The wiki documented tags? Those can be added by
anyone. As there is no scheme/philosophy for OSM .. then you have
nothing to comply to that cannot be changed so easily that it is not
worth the effort.