[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Glenn Powers glenn at net127.com
Wed Aug 19 18:06:53 UTC 2015

On 08/16/2015 03:11 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Also I have the impression that, contrary to what you're saying, at
> least some proponents of abandoned railway mapping find it totally ok to
> map an abandoned railway that "leads through" a modern day housing
> development.

For the record, I deleted an abandoned railway that leads through a new
housing development, because it didn't make any sense to leave it there.

Satellite images clearly show ground gradings indicating an abandoned
railway. IIRC, it was also featured in century-old county atlases.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/42.4165/-88.5338

In a related note, Zink Road USED to continue east over camp creek,
there's even an iron bridge to prove it, but there's no road there now.
So, why should it be on the map? (It's not.)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/42.2278/-90.1019

I'd love to see a site dedicated to historical mapping, but that's not
the point of OSM. Although, OSM software could be used to implement it.

cheers,
glenn