[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 12:11:27 UTC 2015

On 20/08/2015, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
> moltonel 3x Combo writes:
>  > But it's equally annoying and tiring to repeatedly encounter the
>  > ludicrous kind of railway=abandoned,
>
> Then tag it as railway=dismantled. You won't find me defending
> incorrect tagging of anything.

If 'dismantled' is meant to be used for cases like going thru
buildings in a housing estate then no, this data just doesn't belong
in OSM.

> moltonel 3x Combo writes:
>  > To me the distinguishing criteria between disused and abandoned is
>  > wether the rails are still present or not.
>
> Indeed. disused means the rails are still there. Abandoned means that
> the rails are gone. Dismantled (or some people use razed) is when a
> section of the railbad cannot be seen. Railways that were never there,
> placed by mistake, should be deleted.

The wiki only describes abandoned and disused. Some people have
mentioned cases where the rails are still there but trees are growing
in the middle so it really should be 'abandoned' and/or there should
be a value between 'abandoned' and 'disused'. From what you said
earlyer, maybe 'dismantled' is the new 'abandoned' and 'abandoned'
sits somewhere between 'dismantled' and 'disused' ? Maybe you could
give the wiki some TLC.