[OSM-talk] The Proposed Great Colour Shift

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 08:09:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 3:16 AM, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson <joi at betra.is>
wrote:

> Should this be a new, alternative style instead?

IMHO for every user that likes the new scheme, you will find one that hates
it. And vice versa.

As someone that grew up with Falck and Michelin maps, it took a long time
to understand why someone would come up with such a weird color scheme (the
rainbow scheme you refer to). I had read somewhere that it was done because
the ugly colours would force people to make their own maps. Only later I
understood it was the common colour scheme in the UK.

I guess we will never know what's the best way to proceed. Usually people
that don't like the change are very vocal, the lovers not so much. And then
there are many many people that do not speak out or do not care.

FYI, the Britisch community is trying to set up their own tile server to
preserve the rainbow colour scheme, at least for the British islands.

regards