[OSM-talk] The Proposed Great Colour Shift

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 14:59:21 UTC 2015

On 20/08/15 02:16, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> The question really arises if this change is beneficial or not for the
> project. Many hours have gone into it and doing CartoCSS on all these
> zoom levels is not trivial. But this is a major shift on the front page
> of our website, a blow to those who use the default tiles through uMap
> or similarly and depend on the UK rainbow road style and makes life
> harder for mappers to visually confirm the type of road.
>
> Should this be a new, alternative style instead?

That a UK version will appear is a simple fact. Ideally I would like
anybody looking up OSM in the UK to be directed to that version. That
may be a little more difficult to achieve, but removes the WTF provided
by a more international solution? The problem of cause is that one has
to switch to another server to get areas outside the UK unless we can
provided a complete duplicate of the existing service ... retaining the
current style base.

For me, the new style is a pointless exercise since I NEED to retain a
UK view of the data, and I am sure other countries would also prefer to
retain their own road colour preferences so trying to provide an
international style has a limited 'market'? If anything it simply drives
us to provided more local styled services?

I'm not going to object to the current plans, simply because I don't
have to live with it, but I don't think that it IS the right development
path for many reasons. Just what is the convention in the US, Russia or
China?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL