[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Gregory Arenius gregory at arenius.com
Fri Aug 21 18:51:27 UTC 2015

The OSM community is what OSM is even more than it is a map.  People that
are passionate about railways are a part of that community and they do
contribute a lot, especially in the US where we don't have as many
mappers.  They pour lots of time and love and passion into their efforts.
I don't think a policy of deleting that work just because what they're
mapping isn't immediately visible on the ground is a good way of building
and strengthening our community.  In fact, as it is easy to see in this
thread, its actively doing the opposite.  And community is what makes OSM.

I'd therefor like to propose that abandoned railways be treated like
borders.  Even if you can't see it along a given stretch there are people
who can and they have put a huge amount of effort into that work.  Lets
respect that and strengthen the community rather than deleting it and doing
the opposite.

Cheers,
Greg