[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Aug 21 20:28:02 UTC 2015

Err.. Ok. In that case we should keep all of Europe's borders within OSM
going all the way back to the Roman empire & before.

Not such a good idea eh?

If you want to map irrelevant data just to keep users happy then you'll
be happy with me mapping every route I've walked & ridden? I'll name
them 'Dave's Routes'

Not such a good idea eh?

Do you keep old buildings. roads, schools etc? No. So why railways?

There was a group who wanted to add historic data in the current
database. I live in a city which dates back to Roman times. How unusable
would that be if just all the buildings were added?

If someone wants a historic railway map they should scrape the data into
a separate database & overlay onto a current OSM rendering.

As an aside, personally I don't feel OSM is a community. I feel little
comradeship to you or any other mappers. I contribute as I see it as
better map to the alternatives.

Dave F.

On 21/08/2015 19:51, Gregory Arenius wrote:
> The OSM community is what OSM is even more than it is a map.  People
> that are passionate about railways are a part of that community and
> they do contribute a lot, especially in the US where we don't have as
> many mappers.  They pour lots of time and love and passion into their
> efforts.  I don't think a policy of deleting that work just because
> what they're mapping isn't immediately visible on the ground is a good
> way of building and strengthening our community.  In fact, as it is
> easy to see in this thread, its actively doing the opposite.  And
> community is what makes OSM.
>
> I'd therefor like to propose that abandoned railways be treated like
> borders.  Even if you can't see it along a given stretch there are
> people who can and they have put a huge amount of effort into that
> work.  Lets respect that and strengthen the community rather than
> deleting it and doing the opposite.
>

> Cheers,
> Greg

---