[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 15:06:23 UTC 2015

On 23 August 2015 01:27:54 GMT+01:00, Balaco Baco <balacobaco at imap.cc> wrote:
>> > What we need is a
>> > database that already has all the data and simply identify when
>some
>> > small elements of it cease to be current.
>>
>> In OSM we do that by deleting the small elements ;)
>
>I'm sorry. But this is just a stupid thing to do. To have no data and
>have the most recently obtained data are two very different things.

The most recently obtained data is that the objects are no longer here. The 'no data' case matches no osm policy that i know, existing or proposed.

>With the first one you just end with something that isn't worth to ever
>try consulting because it may not have what you're looking for, so
>better not expend time with it.

Wrong data is worse than absent data.  Osm has so far only contained current data, so that's what 99.99% of consumers expect to find in it, so historical data is wrong data. That'll remain true as long as osm lacks a good way to store historical data that doesn't confuse the vast majority of users who are looking for current data.

--
Vincent Dp