[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Balaco Baco balacobaco at imap.cc
Sun Aug 23 16:56:28 UTC 2015

> Wrong data is worse than absent data.  Osm has so far only contained
> current data, so that's what 99.99% of consumers expect to find in it, so
> historical data is wrong data. That'll remain true as long as osm lacks a
> good way to store historical data that doesn't confuse the vast majority
> of users who are looking for current data.

I don't think so. Wrong data happens to Bing Maps, to Google Maps and
probably to any other map we can obtain, electronically or in a paper.
Maps have dates attached to them - or should have, most of the time. The
fact is that: if I browse around my city, looking for streets and
brindges created in the last fews years, I will see mistakes (as I did
before). But it's better to have there what existed, as it was before,
than have just an emptyness in the area. Until someone fix it
(hopefully) or at least mark it as old, potentially wrong (without
deleting until an update is made!).

In the context being discussed here, recent changes should also cause
data deletion, but that's wrong, in my opinion. Data may be *replaced*
with newer data, with everything that's needed.

If people are doing something that is fiercely against the community
idea of OpenStreetMap, that it could be deleted. But that really seem
far from the truth. So that should be preserved, and its deletion, if
decided to be made, should give a reasonable opportunity for the data
contributors to backup that data - so their work is not lost, but may be
used somewhere else.

Further, I'm not one of the users that would be confused with that. I
would find it unsual to see in a map. But being tagged and noted
somehow, should not be a problem at all. And to say the users who would
be confused with it are the "majority of them", is an vague argument you
do just to give some apparent strength to your idea. And I repeat: I
would not be confused with it, I don't think the majority of users would
be.

--
  Balaco

messages, as I'm used to. So I initially sent the answer to just one
person. This should be changed - may it not confuse the majority of
users!?

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service