[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Aug 23 18:20:26 UTC 2015

On 22/08/2015 00:57, Jason Remillard wrote:
> Hi
>
>> I'd therefor like to propose that abandoned railways be treated like
>> borders.  Even if you can't see it along a given stretch there are people
>> who can and they have put a huge amount of effort into that work.  Lets
>> respect that and strengthen the community rather than deleting it and doing
>> the opposite.
> Dave F, OSM is doing just fine. It is full of contradictions,
> redundancies, disagreements, and broken rules (see the tagging list).
So what?
Already having crap in the database is not a valid reason to accept it,
do nothing about it or add to it..

> It is not some kind of business database that requires normalization,
> strict schema definitions, and vigilant protection. It can't have any
> once sentence rules defining its boundaries. It is a great big blank
> sheet of paper, relax and let the railroad people draw on it a bit.
> Nobody is going to get hurt.
Nothing more irritating than someone telling you to "relax".

So, if you're allowing the 'railroad people', who else would you give
permissions to? Where will you stop? How cluttered would the database
have to become until you decide that you might have made a judgemental
error?