[OSM-talk] What's the point of the Wiki 'k=v' icon?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Aug 26 12:17:21 UTC 2015

Hi

Bearing in mind the wiki is used more often by new OSM contributors &
therefore should be a clear & concise as possible, I'm curious why this
icon is so prevalent:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/5/5f/Osm_element_tag.svg/200px-Osm_element_tag.svg.png

There's no description of what it means or relates to. It refers purely
to 'behind the scenes' business. New users are interested in that. Even
if it were described, it would still be irrelevant as *all* tags are
based on a key=value format.

This confusion might actually put new users off editing.

If there's no substantial reason for it's inclusion, I suggest they be
removed.

In a similar vein I notice a few wiki pages concerning tagging have XML
OSM database code. Completely unnecessary & again, might put off users
who believe you have to have programming experience to contribute.

Dave F.

---