[OSM-talk] What's the point of the Wiki 'k=v' icon?

Andrew Hain Andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 20:54:11 UTC 2015

Dave F. <davefox <at> madasafish.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Bearing in mind the wiki is used more often by new OSM
contributors &
> therefore should be a clear & concise as possible, I'm curious why
this
> icon is so
> prevalent:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/5/5f/Osm_element_tag.sv
g/200px-Osm_element_tag.svg.png

> There's no description of what it means or relates to. It refers
purely
> to 'behind the scenes' business. New users are interested in that.
Even
> if it were described, it would still be irrelevant as *all* tags
are
> based on a key=value format.

The graphic is used when there isn’t a specific image to put in a
tag value infobox, with a k= graphic for key descriptions. A “No
image yet” graphic used to be used. The message is buried within the
{{description}} template. Although there are some pages that could
have pictures but don’t it doesn’t always make sense to have one.

> In a similar vein I notice a few wiki pages concerning tagging
have XML
> OSM database code. Completely unnecessary & again, might put off
users
> who believe you have to have programming experience to contribute.

Where?