[OSM-talk] What's the point of the Wiki 'k=v' icon?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Aug 27 09:21:59 UTC 2015

On 26/08/2015 21:54, Andrew Hain wrote:
> Dave F. <davefox <at> madasafish.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Bearing in mind the wiki is used more often by new OSM
> contributors &
>> therefore should be a clear & concise as possible, I'm curious why
> this
>> icon is so
>> prevalent:
>>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/5/5f/Osm_element_tag.sv
> g/200px-Osm_element_tag.svg.png
>> There's no description of what it means or relates to. It refers
> purely
>> to 'behind the scenes' business. New users are interested in that.
> Even
>> if it were described, it would still be irrelevant as *all* tags
> are
>> based on a key=value format.
> The graphic is used when there isn’t a specific image to put in a
> tag value infobox, with a k= graphic for key descriptions. A “No
> image yet” graphic used to be used. The message is buried within the
> {{description}} template. Although there are some pages that could
> have pictures but don’t it doesn’t always make sense to have one.

If there's not a specific image, can't it just be ignored & start with
'description' or whatever?
The k=v icons are irrelevant to people who edit the map.

>> In a similar vein I notice a few wiki pages concerning tagging
> have XML
>> OSM database code. Completely unnecessary & again, might put off
> users
>> who believe you have to have programming experience to contribute.
> Where?

Of the top of my head:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon
The information it's trying to convey could be written in a much
clearer, more understandable layout.

A while back I noticed a few others, but didn't keep a record. They may
have been upgraded since.

Cheers
Dave F.

---